The following is a comment sent to me by one of our long-time readers, Andi-Roo. The really hilarious part (besides her list that follows!) is that she sent this to me the day before we posted our list for tackling tech clutter for the month of October. I guess it is true: great minds think alike! 😉 I asked Andi if we could share her list for 3 reasons:
- There is always more than one way to do something. This is yet another example of how to make a workspace actually WORK for YOU. We shared our list but maybe Andi’s list would work better for you or give you ideas on how to make your own list.
- Andi did a spectacular job of being kind to herself with this list. She isn’t doing hours of work all in one day. Just small little tasks, one-a-day, every day for 30 days. Little things really can add up to a world of difference.
- Last but not least, her list made me laugh out loud! Without perfectionism or criticism, and with a whole lot of humor, she’s changing a room in her house, and for her that may make a world of difference for her concentration and writing. If you want a good honest laugh, read Andi’s list and then, make your own list with a sense of humor, for an area you’d like to change. Laughter really is the very best medicine.
Andi-Roo (@theworld4realz) can be found at http://www.theworld4realz.com/, where she rants about the “arbitrivial” nature of human beings, begs for Coke, and attempts to embrace social media. Currently at work on her first novel, Green Market, the anti-fracking Andi-Roo lives in Ohio with her husband, two kids, a polydactyl, and a shark.
I made a list of things to take care of in my office… each item is tiny, like “organize top left drawer of desk”… there are THIRTY small tasks! Just in ONE room! I haven’t started yet, but reading this post gives me incentive. I think I’ll start on Oct. 1 & just mark off one per day. How cool would it feel to reach the end of the month & have an organized office, with barely any effort daily, yet so much accomplished over 30 days?! “Baby Steps”… right? If this works out well, maybe I’ll make another 30-item list for the following month, in a different room… hmmm… what to conquer next???
DAILY 15-MINUTE PROJECTS (AND IF ONE TAKES MORE THAN 15 MINUTES, JUST BLOW IT UP):
1. OFFICE BOOK CASE: TOP SHELF (WHAT ON EARTH IS EVEN *UP* THERE NOW???)
2. OFFICE BOOK CASE: SECOND SHELF (GET RID OF KNICK-KNACKS; SORT BOXES OF PAPERS)
3. OFFICE BOOK CASE: THIRD SHELF (SORT BOOKS; GET RID OF KNICK-KNACKS)
4. OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: TOP (SORT BOOKS)
5. OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: LEFT TOP DRAWER
6. OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: LEFT MIDDLE DRAWER
7. OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: LEFT BOTTOM DRAWER (WHY SO MUCH EFFING STATIONERY!?)
8. OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: RIGHT TOP DRAWER
9. OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: RIGHT MIDDLE DRAWER
10. OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: RIGHT BOTTOM DRAWER (NEVER GONNA SCRAP THIS CRAP SO TOSS IT)
11. BOX OF CRAP #1 NEXT TO DESK (LIST ITEMS ON CRAIG’S LIST INSTEAD OF TALKING ABOUT DOING IT “LATER”)
Kel here: This is HUGE. There is no later. Learning how to do Craig’s list would be a great new thing to learn how to do on your computer.
12. BOX OF CRAP #2 NEXT TO DESK (SORT BOOKS, TOSS CRAP)
13. BOX OF PAPERS #1 ON TOP OF FILING CABINET
14. BOX OF PAPERS #2 ON TOP OF FILING CABINET
15. BOX OF PAPERS #3 ON TOP OF FILING CABINET (WHY DO I HAVE SO MANY EFFING BOXES OF PAPERS?)
16. MY DESK: TOP LEFT DRAWER (COMBINE WRITING UTENSILS INTO OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: LEFT TOP DRAWER)
17. MY DESK: BOTTOM LEFT DRAWER (SORT PAPERS — SERIOUSLY? WTF?)
18. MY DESK: TOP RIGHT DRAWER (COMBINE WRITING UTENSILS INTO OFFICE CHEST OF DRAWERS: LEFT TOP DRAWER)
19. MY DESK: BOTTOM LEFT DRAWER (SORT PAPERS — OMG!)
20. FILING CABINET: TOP DRAWER (SORT PAPERS — UNREAL)
21. FILING CABINET BOTTOM DRAWER (SORT PAPERS — SOMEONE KILL ME NOW)
22. STORAGE AREA BENEATH AQUARIUM (WHAT ON EARTH IS EVEN *UNDER* THERE NOW???)
23. CHILD’S ART TABLE: TOP (ENLIST HER ASSISTANCE WITH THREAT OF VIOLENCE)
24. CHILD’S ART TABLE: BOTTOM (REFRAIN FROM KILLING CHILD)
25. CHILD’S EASEL & BOOKS & VARIOUS TOYS & CRAP
26. HUSBAND’S DESK TOP (ENLIST HIS ASSISTANCE WITH THREAT OF VIOLENCE)
27. BOX OF CRAP NEAR HUSBAND’S DESK (I HATE THAT BOX)
28. MISC PILE OF CRAP IN CORNER (MAIL WHAT NEEDS TO BE MAILED; TOSS THE CRAP)
29. WALLS OF OFFICE (NEED TO BE WIPED CLEAN & FREE OF DUST & FINGERPRINTS & MAYBE BOOGERS)
30. FLOOR OF OFFICE (NEEDS TO BE STEAM CLEANED OR ELSE LIT ON FIRE)
It isn’t the 1st of October anymore but that doesn’t matter! There are 23 days left. At 15 minutes a day that’s almost 6 hours of decluttering, cleaning, organizing, starting a project, or learning (like Craig’s list) that can be done by the 31st! Don’t you deserve a workspace that really works for you?
We are collecting a list of 1,000 small changes we could all make. If you are willing to share any small changes you are making or have already made, please do, either in the comments here or by email. We all want to make the world a better place, and we’re starting with ourselves.