I’ve had a hard time keeping up with this month’s challenge.
I was in Wisconsin for two weeks. Since I have been home, it’s been a little busy. As an example here’s a rough outline of
tomorrow’s today’s events. We have a piano recital, puppet show (both starting at 10:00 in the morning), two Halloween plays followed by a costume/dance party until midnight. (I finished sewing a cape for said costume party about 30 minutes ago). Oh, and yesterday was my son’s birthday and my mother’s birthday. He turned 15 and I’m still trying to figure out how that happened.
And that, dear friends, is why my post for Friday is really going out at 2:00 in the morning on Saturday. 😉
Yet, I still managed to eek out a bit of computer decluttering in between traveling, sewing, teaching, ushering, baking, and driving. When I had a few moments I tried to keep focused on my goal. That is the nice thing about decluttering. It doesn’t have to take lots of time.
On a computer, you can delete a WHOLE lot of stuff in 5 minutes!
Using our handy printout which you can still get here, this is what I’ve done so far:
- I completely decluttered and organized my favorites/bookmarks bar on my desktop and iPad. I really should have taken a before and after picture for this one. My husband even came to tell me how much better it was! I can find things now.
- My husband and I went through our email address book. We cut it in HALF! With the kids in theater it’s easy to collect emails for important contacts during the play that we don’t need afterwards. We just hadn’t taken the time to get rid of these after the fact.
- I went through about half of my saved emails so far. But then I went away and when I got home I had 140+ emails in my inbox and I just had to get that under control. In doing this I also unsubscribed from many places. I’m learning that half the battle is not letting it get to your inbox in the first place.
- Pictures-This is a big one and I haven’t touched it. There’s still some time and I may start this but I doubt I’ll finish this before the end of the month.
- I’ve decluttered my documents and files. It’s much easier to find things. I’ve also transferred my documents from my old laptop to my new laptop.
- I found my e-books and PDF’s when I cleaned out my documents. There weren’t as many as I had originally feared, but there are enough that I won’t get done reading them by the end of the month. There is some really good information in there, I’m glad I’m getting to read it now.
- My work station is pretty good. There are a few school items I’m working on but that’s it for my desk.
- I don’t have any stored videos on any of my computers. I do have some music but it’s a very small amount. That’s the one place I’m wanting to add to instead of take away. That sounds like a fun thing to do this Sunday.
As I decluttered the above areas I organized them as well. It isn’t enough, it seems to me, to just get rid of things. Having the things I do keep organized and easy to find and use is just as helpful as decluttering.
- I finished a project on my computer as well. I was SUPER happy to do this because it’s been on my list of things to learn how to use. I’m sorry to be so vague but it resulted in a Christmas present and I don’t want to ruin the surprise. I took care of unfinished business AND I learned how to use something online.
- One of the things I found while decluttering was Onenote notebooking system. Seriously, I did not know we had this on our computer. It’s awesome! I’m learning how to use it and it’s making it much easier to store lots of different information easily. I swear, this computer decluttering is like a treasure hunt.
- Continue reading the ebooks and PDF’s I have stored on my computer
- Start decluttering and organizing our photos
- Finish transferring the last few things off of my old laptop onto my new one.
- I’ve been debating getting a new email address to help clean up my subscriptions. I’m still not sure yet.
- And the thing I want to do most is get my personal blog up and running. (I’m so close on this, we’ll see how far I get.)